Open plans spaces
Tips | Posted on May 10, 2018
Whether you live alone, or have a family – open living spaces are a growing trend. Here’s a few simple ideas to make your space beautiful.
- Colour: One paint colour throughout an open-plan space creates a uniform appearance.
- Decor finishes: Use consistent materials, colours, wood and metal tones in your open-plan space to give all the areas a unified look.
- Keep it casual: Open-plan living marries well with a laid-back lifestyle.
- Define areas: Specific areas need to be demarcated in large open-plan spaces. Arrange key pieces of furniture to divide up the different living areas. Rugs are a great way to help define a particular living space.
- Key features: In an expansive room, create key focal points eg. an exposed brick wall, a built-in bookcase, a fireplace or even a chandelier.
- Seamless design: Because the kitchen is visible from the living area, ensure it is designed to seamlessly integrate with the rest of the space.
- Keep it light: White roller blinds control light and offer privacy while maintaining the airy feel of an open-plan space.
- Storage: Create ample storage space to hide visual clutter. This is particularly important in the kitchen, as it is connected to the entire living area.
Most of all, enjoy designing your living space. And don’t take it too seriously. It’s an interior playground for expressing your creativity!